Through both research and experience one of the best things I have found you can do to help with fat loss is to apply this simple rule: Limit yourself to no more than 100 grams of carbohydrates per day.
It works for several reason.
1. Easy to remember: Meal plans, calorie counting, carb cycling, low fat, high fiber, I could go on, and on. The thing is, people want to be simple. Having someone eat at a scheduled time, with certain foods, is almost near impossible. The guideline of 100 grams of carbs or less is simple to remember and simple to follow.
2. It’s low enough : At 100 grams of carbs each day, you won’t be going into ketosis. However, it is low enough that you won’t be stroing any excess carboohydrates as you tuck under the sheets at night.
3. It’s high enough: At 100 grams that leaves you plenty of room to get in carbs at the most imporant time, before and after your workout. We all know that is a crucial time, and with 100 grams a day, you still have plenty to spare.
4. Forces decisions: You only have to remember one thing, no more than 100 grams of carbs. It forces you to make smarter decisions, choosing better foods, cutting out junk foods, and picking things that will keep you full.
5. Schedule: You always here the recommendation to eat 5-6 times a day. Well, if you eat 5 times a day, do the math, that is 20 grams a meal. It works out perfect, and would look something like this:
Obviously, carbohydrates is only one part of the diet. However, high-carbohydrate intake is the number one reason for fat gain. So, follow the simple rule, 100 grams of carbs or less every day, and I am sure you will see results in no time.
Remember, it all comes down to fundamentals and basics. Far to many people try to make fitness and nutrition more complex then what it is, if you follow simple rules like this one, you WILL see results.
Doug Spurling, CSCS, NSCA-CPT
Spurling Training Systems
PO Box 804
Kennebunkport, ME 04046